As a Certified B Corporation, AeroFarms is a mission-driven indoor vertical farming company transforming agriculture with global headquarters in Newark, NJ. Recognized by Inc.com as one of the Top 25 Disruptive Companies in the World, AeroFarms is scaling quickly to meet the demand for our fresh, locally grown produce that is setting new culinary standards. We now need an Control Systems Engineer to assist in the design and execution of future projects in the United States and around the world.
AeroFarms strategic goal is to enable local production at commercial scale in various markets globally. Specifically, we are focused on developing local farms that produce quality, flavorful, safe, pesticide-free, grown produce that can be easily traced from farm to fork through a simple and transparent supply chain. In our strategy to enhance our competitive advantage, we are seeking innovative, committed, individuals who can share in our long-term goals and sustainability efforts. Ultimately, at AeroFarms we are striving to transform agriculture.
The past 12 months have been an exciting time for us. Our team has grown five-fold during this period and we now need a special individual who’s looking to take the next step in their Control Systems Engineering career to join our cutting-edge Engineering Team.
The Control Systems Engineer will act as a Subject Matter Expert for new and existing controls systems at the manufacturing plants.
- Develops and maintains SCADA and HMI applications for the existing and new manufacturing plants.
- Assisting in setting up the communication between various databases and management software in the company.
- Maintains and designs control systems consisting of PLC’s, sensors, actuating devices.
- Manage assigned projects responsible for aspects of project management from feasibility, planning, design, construction, commissioning and handover and ensures that all key project performance objectives are met as well as delivering to the project schedule, safely, and within the budgetary limits.
- Develops and maintains control system documentation, such as P&IDs, control narratives, BOM, CAD files, PLC code.
- Develops project cost estimates and ROI calculations for potential projects used for setting priorities and making decisions.
- Assists the operation and maintenance teams develop preventive maintenance programs and user manuals to keep the equipment running reliably and at peak efficiency.
- Managing the plant’s process networking infrastructure.
- Collaborates closely with all cross functional project team members and stakeholders.
- Writes equipment specifications and requests for quotations.
- Works with cross-functional teams (or independently) to solve technical problems using appropriate problem-solving skills.
- Established FAT requirements for equipment and systems, attends FAT testing and approves equipment for delivery to the project site.
- Demonstrates leadership and commitment in the management of all health and safety related project activities, including communicating safety goals, establishing roles and responsibilities, and holding team members’ accountable.
- Is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of a secure site working environment, controlling risks to project activities, property and personnel from external factors.
- Organizing and leading the training offered in controls field for the employees.
- If cannot be done remotely, travels to remote sites for project startups, commissioning, maintenance, upgrades.
- 3+ years of experience and in design of electrical and controls systems in an industrial environment such as manufacturing, chemical, pharmaceutical, food/beverage, oil/gas, etc.
- Experience with various PLC’s, HMI’s, SCADA’s, BMS, BAS.
- Previous experience with Ignition or Wonderware SCADA software, Siemens, WAGO, Beckhoff PLC, PostGreSQL DB are a plus.
- Experience with advanced process control, batch process control, optimal control a plus
- Familiar with new trends in automation, such as IIoT and virtualization.
- Experience with different industrial communication protocols as Ethernet/IP, OPC-UA, ProfiNet, Modbus/TCP, Modbus/RTU, BACNet, MQTT.
- Experience with programming languages as C++, Visual Basic, Ladder Logic, Structured Text languages, Functional Block Diagrams, Experience or familiar with programming tools such as Python, and SQL.
- Must be familiar with codes and standards of NEC, IEEE, NFPA, ANSI and API.
- Experience with SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and proficient with MS Office.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering.
- PE license a plus.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience putting together complete design packages (schematic drawings, panel layouts, network diagrams, bills of materials) for purchase and assembly.
- Experience in troubleshooting, installation of a new equipment and writing maintenance documentation and user manuals.